Monday, May 25, 2009

A Swiftly Tilting Planet



This may be my favorite of Madeleine L'Engle's 'Time Quintet' (A Wrinkle In Time) so far. The possibility and hope of this story (these many stories, really) intertwined through creation, history, humanity, individuals, and time are still making my heart race and my mind swirl a little.

I love the way that Reality is made clearer in L'Engle stories...that what we see is not all that is. And that what we cannot see is far more real. As I read, I felt newly awakened to the reality of how small I am. How fleeting are all things visible and present. And yet even as I was dwarfed by the enormity of the Universe and my Creator, I was synchronously awed by the significance and interconnectedness of each person, each action, and each moment.

At the risk of sounding silly, ridiculously romantic, and childish....I'm kind of hoping my dreams tonight will be graced with time-traveling unicorns and wind and sparkling water and golden sun....

But despite the appeal of all those enchanting images, the truths that Madeleine L'Engle so brilliantly and generously has given her readers in this story will linger in my conscious far longer than my wild dreams of time travel and outer space.

No comments: