Apple Banana Bran Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins chopped into small bits
1/4 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup Stonyfield Farms Non-fat Vanilla Yogurt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
2 apples cored and finely chopped
2 large bananas smashed
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
1/2 cup Bran Flakes cereal
3 tbsp Flax Seed
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cinnamon & sugar mixture
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray muffin tins with cooking spray (6 large "Texas" muffins or 12 regular sized muffins will be made)
2. Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl, stir, set aside
3. Combine raisins, egg, milk, yogurt, oil, applesauce, chopped apple, banana, honey cereal, and flaxseed. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes until cereal is softened.
4. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet and stir only until combined.
5. Mix the topping ingredients together and pulse mixture with fingers until butter is thoroughly mixed.
6. Fill muffin tins almost completely full, sprinkle topping over each muffin, and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle of muffin comes out clean.
I created this version of the muffins (adding the flax seed, bran flakes, yogurt, and the oatmeal topping) based on a recipe I found here.