Wednesday, April 11, 2007

So my hope, each day as I grow older, is that this will never be simply chronological aging--which is a nuisance and frequently a bore--but that I will also grow into maturity, where the experience which can be acquired only through chronology will teach me how to be more aware, open, unafraid to be vulnerable, involved, committed, to accept disagreement without feeling threatened (repeat and underline this one), to understand that I cannot take myself seriously until I stop taking myself seriously--to be, in fact, a true adult.

To be.


-Madeleine L'Engle (A Circle of Quiet)

2 comments:

Redbaerd said...

amazing.

I think it's interesting that the ways that she characterizes being "a true adult" (which resonate) could also be used to characterize what it means to be a true child.

Ang said...

i miss you big brother.
thanks for reading and 'resonating'.
call me soon.